Friday, May 9, 2014

PokiNometry

(Wow, why do i still have this blog!)

What am I saying, I'm trying to get myself to learn how to talk about food!

So earlier this week, I had heard about a new "sushi" restaurant opening in Anaheim (http://goo.gl/68zu9e) called PokiNometry.  A very clean and modern looking restaurant.  They have very simple decor, which makes the place look bigger than it already is.  OK, enough about that, especially since i'm not very good at describing decorations, lets talk about the menu.


Their whole menu is centered around serving Poki, which is just Hawaiian Poke served over rice, or even chips.  When you order, you first choose what type of base you want.  You have a choice between white or brown rice, salad, or tortilla chips for "nachos".  Next you choose what kind of fish you want: regular or spicy tuna, salmon, scallops, or yellow tail.  Then you finish it all off with you choice of sauce and toppings.


For my first meal there, I decided to try their Poki Nachos, which had tortilla chips, spicy tuna, crab meat, avocados, smelt eggs, and onions; which was topped with their spicy sauce.




All of the ingredients tasted very clean and fresh, especially the spicy tuna.  I wouldn't mind ordering this again, but after trying the other bowls first.  But, after my first bite (and this is the real reason I'm writing this post), I couldn't help but think of ways of "amending" this dish, in particular the chips.


What I was not particularly fond of was their use of store bought chips.  Now i'm not sure if this has to do with a specific brand or if this happens with all plain flavored tortilla chips, but these chips have this powdered seasoning coating surrounding each chip that is adding itself to the rest of the toppings.  So, instead of just tasting fish/topping and chips, you taste fish/toppings, chip seasoning, and chip with each bite.  These kind of chips might be good for making nachos and for dipping into salsa or other kinds of dip, but they don't seem right for this application.


In my opinion, I think that they should deep fry their own tortilla chips, seasoned with just salt or maybe a little Furikake, and use that for nachos.  Oh, and maybe top this off with a little wasabi aioli or some other kind of sauce......


Other than that, i'll probably come by again to try their Poki Bowls and Salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment